If you are a fan of Qt and don’t want to change to another IDE for developing Android apps then this post is for you.
Follow the steps below to have Qt for Android installed in your computer.
- Go to http://www.qt.io/download/ and download the online installer for Qt. It normally shows up as the recommended option after you answer the questions asked by Qt to set you up with the correct licensing. I usually go for the open-source choice because I’m totally fine with LGPL license in most cases
- Make sure you check Android x86, Android armv5 and Android armv7 options when you are presented with the “Select Components” page during the installation.
- Click next and continue with the installation.
- After you are finished with installing Qt, go to this link and download and install the latest JDK. (At the time of writing this JDK 8 or 1.8.0 was the latest version.)
- Then go here and download and install the stand-alone Android SDK. (Remember you don’t need Android Studio, just download the SDK.)
- Not it’s time to install the NDK. For that you need to go to this link. (Note that the NDK and SDK are just extracted to a folder in your PC and it’s not a complicated application setup in you computer so you can also use the ZIP file in both cases which is also provided.)
- One last download is The Apache Ant and you can download it from here.
- Now you need to setup Android SDK. To do that go to the folder where you installed the SDK and run “SDK Manager”. In my case it was installed in “D:Program FilesAndroidsdk”, yours should be something similar.
- Usually you need all the version 4, 5 and the recent 6 Android API versions so check them all in the SDK Manager and click install.
- The last step is setting the configurations in Qt itself. So run Qt Creator and go to Tools/Options/Android and set all the folders required to the relevant components that you installed during this guide, one by one. I am sharing an screen shot of my Android options so that you can use that as a reference to enter your own settings.
Post a comment if you face any problems.